I tried my usual biscotti recipe but using my standard flour a while ago. I didn't like it as much as usual; the texture seemed rougher than usual. Making my first batch of biscotti in my new flat I decided to go back to my usual mixture of urid, tapioca and almond for the biscotti. I went back to my source recipe, biscotti all a mandorle, in the River Cafe Cook Book Green, by Rose Gray and Ruth Rogers. As my new kitchen is tiny, and the oven is too small for my baking trays, I reduced the recipe to needing only one egg. I made the mistake of not writing down the quantities I would need, and what with dividing the flour quantity in two and then in thirds for the three flours I use, adding dried blueberries and cranberries, and generally getting in a tizzy because I couldn't find where I had put things like sugar, I made a mistake in the ingredients. I forgot to halve the sugar.
When I mixed the dough I found I needed to add water to get a formable dough. This was odd, as usually there is egg left over. However, I added a bit of water and just carried on. The dough took much longer than usual to cook, but was getting too brown on the outside. With double the cooking time, then cooling, slicing and rebaking, it did take quite a while, and my initial impression was that the biscotti was too sweet to be pleasant.
However, the biscotti have matured into a delicious soft and slightly chewy biscuit with bursts of tart flavour from the dried fruit. Sticky, toffeeish, and very tempting....I am not sure if I will be able to bring myself to make this recipe exactly this way again, but made as a mixture which is dolloped in small mounds on a baking tin and cooked long and slow, it may well become a standard favourite.
75g flaked almonds (hadn't any of the usual whole almonds)
50g pine kernals
250g sugar ( I used granulated golden)
150 flour (50g tapioca, 50g urid, 50g almond)
1/4 tsp baking powder
50g dried blueberries
50g dried cranberries
Toast the almond flakes and pine kernels for a few minutes until just going golden. Move onto a new tray to cool before using. If you leave them on a hot tray they may scorch and will take longer to cool.
Mix all the dry ingredients together. Mix the egg and use this to make a batter stiff enough to mould into a log shape. Add a bit of water if needed.
Place on a baking sheet in a log shape- I use a silicon liner or parchment to make the process easier.. Cook for about 25 minutes at 150C. I found that caramel oozed out around the mixture. Leave to cool, slice and return to the oven until they are fully cooked.
Place on a cooling rack. Store in an air-tight container when cool.