Wednesday 28 March 2012

Lazy bread in the campervan


Before we left England on our European jaunt I mixed up some flours, seeds and yeast (and some Solanic potato protein which helps stop slumping) and made up 400g bags and heat sealed them.  Monday evening I added water to make a thick slurry and left the dough to sit overnight.  
I had no idea if the yeast I had used could cope with being treated this way, but next morning, even in the van which we hadn’t heated, the batter was bubbly so I put it in a bread tin and put it in the oven.  
I have found in the past that this bread copes with being baked from a start in a cold oven, so I just did that here, cooking at full heat for an hour and 15 minutes at a slightly reduced temperature.  I haven’t got a thermometer so I have no idea what temperature the bread was cooked at.  However, the bread came out well cooked and delicious, so I can very definitely say that it works well as a lazy, no idea what the temperature is, campervan bread.

This bread is made with urid lentil, tapioca, and cornmeal flours plus potato protein, pumpkin, sunflower and linseeds, yeast and water.

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by how you made bread in the camper van?! We've traveled a lot in our VW ... which has a stove top. I love making breakfast in it on cold mornings. Do you have an oven in yours? The bread looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a tiny oven. I was intending to test the recipe in a pressure cooker as I used to bake in one when I was a student to save money. I grew up in India where my mother did all our baking in a metal box on top of a primus stove, so tend to assume all these things are possible.

    I made pizza last night, pancakes this morning, planning on a batch of cookies later on. We have only just started travelling so still learning, but I bake early evening then the heat from the oven keeps us warm.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments