Saturday 9 July 2011

soft white bread - with mozzarella cheese

bread interior

When I was researching breads I came across South American breads made with tapioca flour and cheese.    I didn't try them as I didn't have the right kind of cheese, and I try to avoid milk based foods due to my lactose intolerance.  However, I have been experimenting with lactase for pre-treating milk, and have lactase tablets for eating if I have diary with a meal (particularly useful when eating out).

This bread recipe makes a very soft moist bread with a mild cheesy flavour - still ok for eating with jam (think cheesecake), as well as savory foods.  It has good coherence, is soft, flexible and moist. It works very well as a sandwich, and I suspect would be excellent for making grilled sandwiches (panini). TT likes this so much that I am going to try a bagel with added mozzarella for him soon.  He says it is like soft white bread but without the annoying vanishing into nothing attributes.

I used more yeast than I would usually use to make a quick bread for lunch.  If you want the nutritional and taste benefits of a slow fermentation use less yeast.

Ingredients (one loaf shaped a bit like ciabatta):

125g mozzarella (the firm type) - grated
125g flour (40% urid, 40% tapioca, 20% cornmeal)
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1/4tsp baking powder
70ml yogurt
60ml water


Mix dry ingredients together, stir in grated mozzarella, mix in yogurt and enough water to make a sticky dough.  Leave to rise, covered, in a warm place.  Tip out onto a greased baking tray and bake for 20minutes at 180C


dough on greased tin
cooked loaf

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments