Friday 15 July 2011

Stuffed-crust pizza with mozzarella dough


I made a batch of the mozzarella dough but using a quicker technique for a pizza.  I set fingers of mozzarella on the rim of the pressed out disc and covered with more dough, squeezing to join.  I then covered this with tomato sauce, and other pizza toppings.

TT says this pizza is so good we don't need to go to pizza restaurants anymore - though I do need to source excellent topping ingredients now.


Ingredients for dough:
250g flour
125 g mozzarella (grated)
225 water (less water as not leaving dough so long)
1 tsp yeast (double yeast as wanted quicker result)
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp oregano

Mix dry ingredients including grated mozzarella together, stir in water.  Leave to sit, covered, in a warm place until it is clear dough is rising.

Press out onto non-stick sheet, sprinkled with flour or cornmeal.  Make rim if wanted by placing cheese strips along edge and covering with dough. Cover with whatever toppings wanted.


Bake 180C for 15 minutes and lower to 160C for a further ten minutes.


I'll have to see how this works with the lactose free cheese available in the supermarkets - it has little flavour so I haven't been tempted by it, preferring instead the superb artisan Cheddars from the West Country that are lactose free due to the traditional processes and long slow maturation.  If the (rather plastic) cheese can do the textural wonders that mozzarella does it would be very convenient - I ate (no milk products) bread and peanut butter for my lunch while he tucked into this pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments