Wednesday 1 December 2010

Mincemeat recipe - sulphite free

cranberries, blueberries, raisins and candied peel


I got these written in the wrong order - I haven't shown you the mincemeat I made with the candied peel.

I started with Delia Smith's mincemeat recipe from Delia Online.  I then changed a lot of items to suit my store cupboard.  I made a large amount as it takes a longish time to make and keeps for a long time too - make it once and use it all year.

Ingredients
1000g raisins
700g dried cranberries
600g soft dark brown sugar
500g dried blueberries
340g candied peel chopped small
320g hard white vegetable fat, chopped small  - if you are making for immediate consumption you can leave most of this out or put in a small amount of vegetable oil.
225g apple, chopped
juice from the oranges, lemons and grapefruit used to make the peel
6 tsp mixed spice
1tsp cinnamon
half a fresh nutmeg, grated.
8 tbsp brandy




Mix everything together apart from the brandy. Cover and leave to sit for twelve hours.  Cover bowl with foil and place in a warm oven ( 120degreesC) for three hours.  Stir as it cools.  Add brandy and stir.  Bottle or use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments