Sunday 7 November 2010

Gluten-free Wedding Cupcake Tower.


I may well never make 120 cupcakes plus giant cupcake for cutting again so it seems like a good idea to write about it on the blog.

This morning I scrubbed the kitchen and then laid out four double recipe quantities of all the ingredients so that I could pound through the making efficiently. I find more than a double recipe a bit hard to handle this size fits well into my mixing bowls and I don’t have to worry about having more batter than will fit in the oven in one go.

I was all set to go when my mother-in-law turned up for coffee, so proceedings were interrupted while we heard about her week and she expressed amazement that I was wearing chef whites (actually blue and white check trousers with white jacket and hat).

The recipe is adapted from the ‘romantic rose cupcakes’ on the BBC Good Food website. I have posted it before but to save hunting around here it is again.

I’ll make the whole batch of cupcakes, freeze them and do the frosting the day before the wedding. The flowers are all piled in boxes waiting to be put on top. The amusing cake topper I made out of polymer clay, of the couple on a tandem (they had a tandem on their wedding invites) fell apart on the final firing in the oven so I’ll manage without that; there isn’t really time to do it over again.

Makes about 12 deep cupcakes or one 7inch cake. Double recipe for a layer cake suitable for a party.

Ingredients

150ml pot natural yogurt

3 eggs, beaten

1tsp vanilla

175g golden caster sugar

120g flour

120g ground almonds

3 tsp baking powder

175g unsalted butter, melted

White chocolate frosting

100g white chocolate

140g unsalted butter – room temperature

140g icing sugar

Line cake tins and set oven to 190C, fan 170C

Cake

In a jug, mix yogurt, eggs, butter and vanilla extract.

Sift flour and baking powder together, add almonds and sugar and mix well.

Add wet to dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon into tin /cupcake cases.

Bake approx 4 5-50 minutes for large cake, 20-25 minutes for cupcakes. Test with skewer to see if comes out clean.

Cool on wire rack. Eat within three days or freeze as soon as possible.

Frosting

Melt chocolate in microwave, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool.

Beat butter and icing sugar until soft and light. Beat in chocolate. Cover and chill for up to one month.

This cake freezes well, and can be frozen with the frosting. Eat within two days of defrosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments