Tuesday 30 November 2010

Vegan and gluten-free mushroom stroganoff

mushroom stroganoff

Those of you that can remember what it was like to be a vegetarian in the 1970's and 80's may view a recipe for mushroom strogonoff with a twinge of loathing.  For a long time, after the sole option at restaurants was an omelet, or if it was really posh, a poached egg, the standard veggie option was mushroom strogonoff.  I haven't eaten, let alone made, a mushroom stroganoff for at least a decade.  However, in the store today mushrooms were cheap and I had pastry ready in the fridge so I thought a pie with mushrooms would be a good supper.

I ran out of time doing other things so didn't  get around to preparing the other ingredients for my pie.  Mushrooms being sold off cheap because the store wants to get rid of them need using...stroganoff with baked potatoes seemed the ideal solution.

I used a recipe from http://vegbox-recipes.co.uk/recipes/mushroom-recipe-2.php simply because it was the first one to lad - my Internet was being very slow and I kept changing URLs till I found one that came up before my patience vanished.


It included wine and cream, and I didn't have any wine and, being lactose intolerant, didn't want to use the cream.  I added half a can of borlotti beans to increase the protein of the dish and to act as the thickener.  I blitzed them in a blender before adding them; they gave a thick creamy texture that satisfied even the diary lover taste-buds of my Tolerant Taster.




fry mushrooms with onion and garlic

  • 500g mushrooms, wiped and cut into chunks
  • 200g Borlotti beans - pureed
  • c 100ml water - more as needed
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp whole grain mustard
  • 1 teaspoon gluten free soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1 medium onion- finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic - minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • handful chopped parsley


Fry onion in oil until translucent.
Toss mushrooms in paprika.
Add garlic and mushrooms to frying onion and cook until the mushrooms start to look brown and cooked
add borlotti paste and water and stir well
add other flavourings apart from parsley.  Cook until thick and luscious looking.  Stir in chopped parsley and serve.


add borlotti paste to mushrooms


I served this with baked potatoes and fresh buffalo mozzarella for anyone that wanted it.

Excellent flavour and really easy to make.  I'll definitely add this to my regular repertoire of simple supper dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to edit or not publish comments